Graduation and COVID Limitations

Graduation and COVID Limitations

Graduation is a topic thought about by almost every senior in schools around the world. However, this year there is going to have to have some changes to fit in with COVID-19 restrictions, so I reached out to Vice Principal Mr. Bing, and here is what information he was able to share with me regarding graduation, as well as some student opinions on what Lisbon is doing this year.

With COVID-19 restrictions still affecting us every day, I reached out to Mr. Bing to hopefully get some answers to questions I was wondering about graduation and how it will take place. When planning an event of this magnitude, the participants must know of a set in stone date in advance, and the answer that I got was that it is taking place Sunday May 30th, at 3:00 pm and will be at the stadium outside of the school. With the event being at the stadium, my next question was how many tickets would each student get to bring family and friends to see them. He responded saying that the amount is not known as of currently. He also stated that there will be as little changes from previous years that they can do, and also that diplomas are back to being handed out by faculty instead of the students’ family. It has also been decided that there will be a guest speaker, but they have yet to be chosen. 

With this information. I asked seniors Jackson Cornwell and Aaron Hinchliffe to fill out a short questionnaire on their thoughts and opinions on some of the decisions made regarding graduation. I started my questions off with what their thoughts about graduation being outside were. They both agreed that it was a great call and that it would be much safer for everyone involved with Jackson saying that “I absolutely have no problem with it! Personally, I am much more comfortable Covid-wise with the event being held outdoors.” and with Aaron stating that “I am glad to hear that the ceremony has been moved to the stadium. This decision not only allows us to have a graduation, it keeps us and our guests safe considering the amount of seating and the outdoor setting.” With that in mind, the next question was if they thought that there was going to be a limit on the number of guests that you can invite. Like the question above, they both agreed that they both believe that there will be a limit to the number of people you can invite, with Aaron saying that he thinks it will be comparable to the amount of people at a football game with Jackson saying that he thinks that there will be a system similar to this last year’s football season where each student involved with the game would get a set amount of tickets for their friends and family. I then mentioned bringing back the tradition of having a guest speaker for the ceremony. While Jackson liked the idea of having a guest speaker, Aaron was very vocal about his opinions stating “I am all for having a guest speaker at our graduation ceremony. It is a great tradition that Lisbon has to showcase alumni, and allow them to inspire current graduates. He also had his own opinion on who he thought this year’s guest speaker should be, saying “I would like to see this year’s speaker be a medical professional. Considering the pandemic, I believe they should be showcased and would have some excellent insight to share” The last question that I asked them was, what is your opinion about being able to be with all of your fellow classmates during graduation. They both thought that it was going to be nice to see all of their classmates one last time before they all go their separate ways, and that the day would be a special and memorable one. 

With all of this being said, I believe that the school is trying to make sure that the class of 2021 will be able to have the best graduation that they can have under these restrictions that we face every day.