Online Learning Causing More Harm Than Good

COVID-19 has affected everyone over the past year.  One significant impact was on school students. Schools have turned to remote learning as an alternative to the in classroom setting.  As the months passed, we continued sitting in front of a computer talking to teachers, which now has turned into a year. The plan has shown its flaws and is not working for most kids. Each student has a different way of learning.  For some, online might be the best option, but for most, that has not proven to be the case.  Here at Lisbon, 84% of the students who are failing are remote. Obviously, something is not working. From my experience and many others I have talked to (including teachers), something needs to change.

When in class, we get full attention for about an hour from a teacher who can answer any questions we have and explain it in a way that we understand. There are way less distractions.  At home there can be any number of interruptions throughout the day such as parents talking, dogs barking and phones ringing. 

Future instances: 

Scenario 1:  Online learning continues…you go to college and find you are not at the level you need to be to succeed.  You now need to take more classes or you are so discouraged you drop out and find yourself struggling to make ends meet.  You could also not be as well rounded in the workforce.  Especially if you choose a career that requires more than education, but also the daily interaction of two or more people and how to give and take to be successful.   

Scenario 2:   You decide to make the best of the circumstances and go to school in person as much as you can.  You are trying your best to stay focused and strive to learn what would have been a full curriculum.  You prepare yourself for whatever it is you will do after high school and/or college.  You end up excelling in your career choice and do not have any regrets.