The Students' Voice

Drake – Music Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drake – Music Review

Drake has been on the back burner for me in rap music. I have recently started to listen to him more, it started when I heard the song “Started from the Bottom.” The next major hit he had was from his 2016 album Views. The song that made that album such a big hit was “Hotline Bling”. The music video came out on October 26, 2015 and was turned into a meme after the music video dropped. Drake’s dance moves were weird enough that the internet had a field day with reposting the dance and editing it to be even funnier.

Drake released an album on June 29, 2018 titles Scorpion. The album consists of 25 tracks, the song that people have liked the most is “Gods Plan”. A possible reason for naming the album Scorpion is because he himself is a Scorpio horoscope. The album features guest appearances from Jay-Z and Ty Dollar Sign. Scorpion was a double album, half of the album is hip hop while the other half is described as R&B and pop. ”God’s Plan,” “Nice for What,” “I’m Upset,” “Don’t Matter to Me,” In My Feelings” and “Nonstop” all made it to the top ten on the US Billboard Hot 100. “God’s Plan,” “Nice for What,” and “In My Feelings” all reached number one.

Critics reviews Scorpion lower than Nothing Was the Same, which was his highest rated score of 79. Scorpion was his lowest score of 67 out of 100. This was his lowest album and he has been getting worse over the year,s which is surprising since he got US Billboard Hot 100. The individual songs that have hit top 100 have been viewed better than the album itself. Only 26 company’s viewed it. Neil McCormick, of The Daily Telegraph, said the hip hop side of the album was “sharply focused” and the songs were well written, while on the R&B side he was ‘sensitive’.

Scorpion was certified Platinum the day it was released because of all the sales from the three singles, “God’s Plan,” “Nice for What” and “I’m Upset”. Two months after Post Malone’s latest album broke, Spotify’s most played in a day record was Drake’s album “Scorpion” that beat Post Malone’s record with 132.45 Million streams with only a difference of 50 million streams.