The Students' Voice

Top Ten of the Class of 2018

The Class of 2018 is represented well by their top ten. There are sixteen hardworking students that are dedicated to their schoolwork and their GPA’s. Not only do they excel in the classroom, they are also involved in other outstanding activities. This class has seven students who are ranked first in their class, and are also known as valedictorians.

Branson Brownfield is ranked first in the class and is the son of Bryan and Elana Brownfield. He is a member of Academic Challenge, McKinley Tutoring, Science Club, Art Club, Key Club, Student Council as President, National Honor Society, LYFT Youth Program and a Buckeye Boys State Delegate. Branson also plays golf and basketball. He received First Team Northeast District Division III and First Team Eastern Ohio Athletic Conference in golf, as well as setting new school records for lowest round with a score of 32, most birdies in a round with 5, and the lowest sectional (72) and district score (75). For basketball, Branson received Second Team ITCL 2017, Honorable Mention All-County, and he also set the school record for three pointers in a game with 7. Branson’s future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to pursue a degree in chemical engineering while also participating in the YSU Honors College Program. Branson’s favorite quote is, “For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and help you, and plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

Jacob Mundy is ranked first in the class and is the son of Jeff and Nikol Mundy. He is a member of National Honor Society, Academic Challenge, Key Club, Science Club, Spanish Club, Art Club, LYFT Youth Group and a Buckeye Boys State Delegate. Jacob participates in cross country, basketball, and track and earned varsity letters in all three sports. Jacob’s future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering. His favorite quote is, “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Brian Dickson is ranked first in the class and is the son of Brian and Carol Dickson. He participates in Spanish Club, Art Club, Key Club, Science Club, Academic Challenge, Chess Club, Cross Country, Track and Basketball. He was inducted into the National Honor Society and served as a Buckeye Boys State Delegate. Brian’s future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering. His favorite quote is, “You should peak in college, not in high school, but if you come back to high school, you’re pathetic.” -Ron Witman

Samantha Tinsley is ranked first in the class and is the daughter of John and Pam Tinsley. She participates in Science Club as Vice President, Spanish Club, Key Club as Vice President, Health Careers Club as Vice President, Academic Challenge, National Honor Society as Secretary, McKinley Tutor, Knitting Club, Physics Olympics, Mock Trial, LYFT Youth Group, Student Council, and the Secretary of the Class of 2018. Samantha was a four year varsity letter winner in golf and softball, and a four year academic letter. She was a three time First Team ITCL for softball and holds the school record for a softball pitcher with the most wins in a season. Samantha also was Second Team ITCL and EOAC, and First Team All-District for golf. She was a Sectional Medalist in golf. Samantha was a 2016 HOBY Ambassador and a 2017 Girls State Delegate. She was also voted as Freshman Homecoming Attendant, 2017 Prom Court, and Senior Basketball Homecoming Court. Samantha’s future plans are to attend Malone University to major in Biology, where she will also be a part of the Women’s Golf Team, and a member of the Honors Program. Her favorite quote is, “Attract what you expect. Reflect what you desire. Become what you respect. Mirror what you admire.”

Lauryn Todd is ranked first in the class and is the daughter of Merle and Beth Todd. She is a member of National Honor Society as the president, Key Club as the president, Art Club as the president, Spanish Club as the president, Science Club, Knitting Club, Academic Challenge and LYFT Youth Group. She is also a member of New Lisbon Presbyterian Church, Class President freshman and sophomore years, Volleyball, Marching Band, Pep Band, Concert Band, and Columbiana County Honors Band. Lauryn has also was the 2016 HOBY Ambassador, 2017 Buckeye Girls State Delegate, and 2017 Prom Court Attendant. Lauryn’s future plans are to attend Westminster College to pursue a major in business and a minor in Spanish. After college she plans to pursue a master’s in Business Administration. Her favorite quote is, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” -Mahatma Ghandi

Alyssa Chestnut is ranked first in the class and is the daughter of Mark and Tracy Chestnut. She is a member of the girls’ basketball team, the cheerleading team, Pep Club, Knitting Club, National Honor Society and she is also a McKinley tutor. Alyssa was a Buckeye Girls State Delegate and the 2017 Senior Football Homecoming Attendant. Alyssa’s future plans are to attend the University of Mount Union to pursue a degree in nursing. Her favorite quote is, “I have to be successful because I like expensive things.” -Unknown

Kimberlee Wiggers is ranked first in the class and is the daughter of Tracy Cox and Mike Wiggers. She is a member of the volleyball and softball Teams, Pep Club, Science Club, Spanish Club, Knitting Club, National Honor Society, McKinley tutoring, and she is also a Buckeye Girls State Delegate. For volleyball, she was Second Team All-Ohio, First Team EOAC and First Team All-District. Kimberlee’s future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to pursue a career in nursing. Her favorite quote is, “We wouldn’t be where we are today, without each other.” -Alyssa Chestnut

Hannah DeLand is ranked second in the class and is the daughter of Tina Best and Wade Deland, and step-daughter of Jack Best. She is a member of the softball and volleyball teams as well as traveling softball and JO volleyball, 4H, LYFT Youth Group, Academic Challenge, Health Careers Club, Key Club, Science Club, Spanish Club, Student Council, National Honor Society and a Buckeye Girls State Delegate. Hannah’s future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to major in biology and pre-vet and then plans to attend the Ohio State University to pursue a degree to be a veterinarian. Her favorite quote is, “Take your time, don’t live too fast. Troubles will come and they will pass.” -Lynyrd Skynyrd

Erika McCoy is ranked third in her class and is the daughter of Brian McCoy, Amy McCoy, and Reid Schreffler. She is a member of Key Club, Art Club, National Honor Society, Denim and Dust 4H Club, Hero’s and Halos, and 4H horse exhibiting at the Columbiana County Fair. She is employed at Subway as a closing manager and at Broken Smile Farms as a pony ride worker. Erika’s future plans are to attend the Pittsburgh Technical College to pursue a degree in nursing, and then continue her education to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. Her favorite quote is, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love, who have been called according to his purpose.” -Romans 8:28

Eva DeRuyter is ranked fourth in the class and is the daughter of Phil and Tina DeRuyter. She is a member of National Honor Society, Health Careers Club as President, Art Club as Treasurer, Spanish Club, Science Club, Key Club, Student Council, Mock Trial, LYFT Youth Group, 4 year member of the varsity cheerleading squad, 4 year member of the girls track team, 2 year member of the volleyball team, and a 1 year member of the girls basketball and cross country teams. She was named Best Attorney in Akron Regional Mock Trial, 2016-2017 First Attendant Johnny Appleseed Festival, and the 2017 Prom Queen. Eva plans to attend Youngstown State University to major in Biology (Pre-Med) as a member of the Honors Program and plans to become a doctor. Her favorite quote is, “She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.” -Proverbs 31:35

Cameron Summer is ranked fifth in the class and is the son of George and Stephanie Summers. He hold the office of President of the 2018 class. He is a member of Student Council, Art Club, Science Club, McKinley tutoring, Spanish Club, National Honor Society, and the Greenford Christian Church. He was selected as a Buckeye Boys State Delegate and a 2017 Prom Court Attendant. For football he has received 2016 All Area Football, 2016 First Team ITCL, First Team Quad-County, 2016 Best Offensive back Award, 2016 1,000 Yard Rusher, 2016 ITCL Champions, 2017 First Team Northeast Inland All-District, 2017 First Team All-EOAC, 2017 Division VII First Team All-State, 2017 1,000 Yard Rusher, 2017 Bud Bucher Award (MVP), 2017 Quad-County All-State Team, and he has participated in the Ohio Football Playoffs all four years of high school. For baseball he has received 2015 Second Team ITCL, 2016 Second Team ITCL, 2016 Defensive Award, 2016 Sectional Champions, 2017 First Team ITCL All-Star, 2017 First Team All-District, 2017 Second Team PBR All State, 2017 ITCL Tier Champions, 2017 Sectional Champions, and 2017 Offensive Award. Cameron’s future plans are to attend Malone University to pursue a degree in accounting and finance and to continue his baseball career. His favorite quote is, “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” -Helen Keller

Sarena Underwood is ranked sixth in the class and is the daughter Rex and Sarah Underwood. She is a member of National Honor Society, Academic Challenge, Spanish Club, Science Club, Health Careers Club, Key Club, Student Council, Mock Trial, McKinley tutoring, and Knitting Club. She has her academic letter, and junior varsity volleyball letter. Sarena’s plans are to attend West Virginia University and major in nursing to pursue a career in pediatric nursing. Her favorite quote is, “I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand I will not be shaken.” -Psalm 16:8

Michael Simms is ranked seventh in the class and is the son of Mike and Michelle Simms. He is a member of the boys track team, where he has earned a varsity letter, Science Club, Spanish Club, Art Club, Key Club, Academic Challenge, LYFT Youth Group, and National Honor Society. He is a Buckeye Boys State Delegate and he also has received his academic letter. Michael’s future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to major in computer science. After graduation, he hope to get a job in the gaming industry. His favorite quote is, “I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” -Philippians 4:13

Matthew Hull is ranked eighth in the class and is the son of Kevin and Tammy Hull. He is a member of the boys track and cross country teams, Science Club, Academic Challenge, and National Honor Society. He has received the Student Spotlight from the Lisbon Board of Education, the Family Appreciation Award, as well four year letter winner in both track and cross country, where he was a captain. Matthew’s future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to major in mechanical engineering and pursue in the 3D Printing Field. His favorite quote is, “The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.” -Malcolm X

Kimberly Temple is ranked ninth in the class and is the daughter of Cyndi Harr and Ralph Temple. She is a member of Art Club, Science Club, and National Honor Society. Kimberly’s future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to major in early childhood education (Pre-K/3). Her favorite quote is, “Be a lover, choose to love, give love. Love everyone, always.” -Harry Styles

Mackenzie Sturgeon is ranked tenth in the class and is the daughter of Melissa and Aaron Sturgeon. She is a member of the girls cross country team, Academic Challenge, Key Club, Mock Trial, Science Club, Spanish Club, Student Council, McKinley Tutoring, Knitting Club, and National Honor Society. She has earned a varsity letter in cross country. Mackenzie’s future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to major in nursing and later pursue a career as a nurse practitioner. Her favorite quote is, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” -Joshua 1:9