The Students' Voice

The Sun is Also a Star – Book Review

The Sun is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon, is a novel about the questions of God, fate and love. Centered on two teenagers in New York City that could not be more different, but when they finally meet they are somehow perfect for each other.

Natasha is a Jamaican girl who does not believe in fate or love, she believes in science. She knows nothing magical is going to happen to her, and nothing is going to stop her family from being deported to Jamaica. She is doing everything in her power to stop this from happening, and forcing her to go back to a country she has never called home.

Daniel is a Korean-American boy who believes that everything happens for a reason, and is a hopeless romantic. He knows that somehow everything is going to work in his favor. He is just trying to live up to his parent’s expectations of going to a good school, getting a well-paying job, and making a good living, like his mother never had the chance to do.

The story starts 24 hour before Natasha’s parents, little brother, and herself will be deported back to Jamaica. This is where her parents met and decided to come to the US to provide a better life for their kids and better opportunities for themselves. Natasha goes to her lawyer’s office to see if there is anything she can do to hold off the deportation while they try to become legal citizens. That same day, Daniel is heading to an interview with Yale, to see if this is where he would like to go to school. While walking down the same road, he sees her listening to music on her head phones, and he follows her. When they meet there is an instant connection, and they share many cliché romantic moments. The rest of the story follows them around as they fall in love and talk about all of their problems.

This story revolves around instant love, which is very unrealistic. But other parts of the story kind of bring it down to earth a bit including the fact that Natasha is being deported and the pressure that Daniel feels from his parents. These are things that people experience every day. It helps with making the story relatable for people in those situations. I love that it was told from both Natasha and Daniels points of view. It is interesting to see the contrast of these two people. The difference between their points of view and how they see the world is beautiful.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a quick read. It easily pulls you in with the suspense of Natasha’s deportation and the romance between her and Daniel. It moves very fast and it’s really hard to put down. I also think this is a good read for people who have opinions about deportation and dreamers, because this book really pulls at your heart strings. It makes you feel bad for her family and what they are going through, maybe changing your opinion on illegal immigrants. It really opens your eyes to problems that other people our age have that we could never imagine.