The Students' Voice

School Security

Back to Article
Back to Article

School Security

Our schools are becoming targets for violent predators. Unfortunately, mass shootings are becoming a common event. This has led to many heated debates and lots of questions. One of these questions is, what should we do to make our schools safer? This is a common question but it seems that not enough is being done to answer it and even less seems to be done to solve the problem.

To decide what can be done we need to understand the problem. So let’s look at what is happening and see what schools can do to solve these problems. So normally we see mentally unstable young males committing these violent acts. Lots of these people are on anti-psychotic drugs. These people often show signs of wanting to do violent things. This is significant but the schools cannot do much to fix this situation. They can report the students for making threats and they can try to get them help if they seem to be mentally unstable but this is not enough. This becomes very apparent in the most recent mass shooting. Both the FBI and local law enforcement knew about the threat the last shooter posed, he had been reported for making threats to the school numerous times. This was a failure of law enforcement. I think it’s safe to say that the school can’t do much to fix this.

So what can schools do? Well, there are lots of options to consider. First, there should be armed security. We use armed security in many places in the U.S., why shouldn’t we use it in our schools? These guards should be well trained and we should agree to a set of standards nationally, that they must meet. This will certainly help and it should be a standard.

Second, allowing school staff who have a concealed and carry permit to carry in schools. This can be optional because you should already have armed security. This is a controversial issue but I think that this would certainly help. This would be an extra layer of security to our schools. This could help in situations where the security fails. In the last shooting it did. This could be fixed with holding security to higher standards but sometimes the only people who can do anything are the victims themselves. Lt. Jeff Copper once said,” If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”

Third, we should teach students and staff at schools how to recognize indicators that someone may be a threat. There are almost always signs that someone is going to do something beforehand. If people can see the signs and report the person, then something can be done before there is a serious problem. If you can recognize a threat you can prepare for it better, and potentially fix the problem before something happens. This alone is not always enough but it can help if appropriate action is taken by both the schools and law enforcement.

These are a few steps that schools can do to protect their and make schools much safer. Schools are easy targets for sick people, adding armed security to schools makes them hard targets. The fact that shooters would have to fight to get to their targets may be enough to keep them from attempting a shooting. But these fixes do not address the real problem. The real problem is one with culture. Something is very wrong somewhere. Mass shootings are a fairly new occurrence. In the past few decades, these shootings have become more and more frequent. We should ask ourselves why. What are we doing wrong? Is it our media? Is it because we aren’t doing enough for mentally ill people? Is it because the family structure is deteriorating? I’d say it’s a little bit of all of it, and I’m sure there is more. If we want to fix the problem we have a lot of work to do. We need to take an honest look at ourselves and get to work fixing our hearts and minds.