The Students' Voice

Women’s March

The Women’s March was a worldwide protest against the inauguration of Donald Trump. This was on January 21st, 2017, and on this past weekend it was the one year anniversary of the day he got into office and people gathered together again. Besides a protest on the new president, the Women’s March also believe that women’s rights are human rights, and that we should be advocating for reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, workers’ rights, civil rights, immigrant rights and environmental justice. They also believe in ending violence against people who apart of these groups and believe in these causes. Two girls from David Anderson High School, Reagan Emmerling and Lindsi Welsh, went to a rally in Pittsburgh, PA. They traveled with Reagan’s mom, aunt, sister, and grandma to participate in the march.

The reason that they went was because they are feminists and they believe that participating in things like this raise awareness and make a difference. Many people there, including them, were wearing shirts and signs with feminist and anti-Trump slogans. They were also wearing pink hats with cat ears. They explained that these hats were to mock a rather crude statement that President Trump made about women before he was elected. The signs that they carried said things like “History has its eyes on you”, “The Future is female”. “I’m with her”, “Not my Cheeto”, “When they go low, we go high”, and “A women’s place is in the revolution.” They marched and waved their signs as they chanted “This is what democracy looks like.” While they were walking down the streets they felt empowered and strong. Even some of the representatives from PA were there among the crowd. They really do believe that they are making a change by being a part of this.