The Students' Voice

The 2018 Basketball Homecoming Court

The 2018 basketball homecoming court was recently announced. The court consisted of seven attendants and the retiring queen of 2017. The seven attendants for this year are Eva DeRuyter, Madison Hall, Shyanne Rendziniak, Cameron Rife, Mackenzie Sturgeon, Sam Tinsley, Sarena Underwood, and the retiring queen is Alexa Bell. The 2018 basketball homecoming queen was announced at the varsity boys basketball game against Toronto on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.

Eva DeRuyter is the daughter of Phil and Tina DeRuyter. Eva Participated in four years of varsity cheerleading and track. She participated in two years of volleyball, one year of cross country, and one year of basketball. Eva participates in Health Careers Club, where she holds the office of President. She is secretary of Student Council, and treasurer of Art Club. Eva also is a member of the following clubs: Key Club, Spanish Club, Pep Club, and Science Club. She is a member of the National Honor Society, Physics Olympics, and is a McKinley Tutor. Eva is a member of the Youth Group LYFT. She was an attendant for the Johnny Appleseed Festival Royal Court 2016-2017. Eva was Lisbon David Andersons’ 2017 Prom Queen. She also served as the 2015 Football Homecoming Sophomore attendant. Eva will be attending Youngstown State University in the fall of 2018. She will be studying biological sciences/pre-med. She was also accepted into YSU Honors College. Eva was escorted by varsity basketball player Branson Brownfield.

Shyanne Rendziniak is the daughter of Steve and Kim Rendziniak. She participated in volleyball for three years and marching band for two years. Shyanne has participated in Science Club for the past three years. She works at Mike’s Penn Grille and Marco’s Pizza, both in Salem. Shyanne was a member of the 2017 Prom court. Shyanne plans to attend Kent State Salem in the fall for an associate’s degree in Sonography. Shyanne was escorted by varsity basketball player Dougie Minor.

Cameron Rife is the daughter of John and Susan Rife. Cameron has participated in cheerleading for two years, marching band and pep band for four years. Cameron was involved in the school theatre for four years and Trinity Playhouse theatre for six years. She is a member of the Student Council and Knitting Club. Cameron works at Lisbon Dairy Queen, Salem Golf Club, and Lisbon Subway. She was the junior attendant for the fall football homecoming court of 2016. Cameron plans to attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University in the fall, majoring in Pre-Occupational Therapy. Cameron was escorted by varsity basketball player Jacob Mundy.

Mackenzie Sturgeon is the daughter of Aaron and Melissa Sturgeon. She participated in cross country for the past four years. She holds the office of Treasurer for the class of 2018. Mackenzie also holds the office of Treasurer for Key Club and National Honor Society. She is involved in the Student Council, McKinley tutoring, Physics Olympics, Knitting Club, Science Club, Spanish Club, Academic Challenge, and a one year member of Mock Trial. Mackenzie is a member of the Youth Group LYFT and the Presbyterian Church of Hanoverton. She plans to attend YSU in the fall, majoring in nursing. Mackenzie was escorted by varsity basketball player Brice Blackburn.

Sam Tinsley is the daughter of John and Pam Tinsley. She participated in four years of varsity golf and softball. She was a medalist in the 2017 Sectional Golf Tournament. Sam is a member of Student Council. She is the 2018 class secretary. Vice President of Science Club, Key Club, and Health Careers Club. She is also involved in Spanish Club, Academic Challenge, National Honor Society, and one year member of Mock Trial. Sam also participated in Knitting Club and Physics Olympics. Sam is the 2016 HOBY Ambassador. She was a 2017 Buckeye Girls State delegate. She serves as a McKinley tutor. Sam is a member of the LYFT Youth Group and is a member of the New Springfield Church of God. Sam will be attending Malone University in the fall of 2018 to major in Biology. She will also be a member of the womans golf team. Sam was escorted by varsity basketball player Justin Sweeney.

Sarena Underwood is the daughter of Rex and Sarah Underwood. She participated in one year of volleyball. Sarena is a member of Student Council, Science Club, Spanish Club, Key Club, Health Careers Club, Academic Challenge, and National Honor Society, one year member of Mock Trial, Knitting Club, McKinley tutor, and Physics Olympics. Sarena is also a member of the LYFT Youth Group and the Salem United Methodist Church. Sarena will be attending West Virginia University in the fall of 2018 with a major in nursing. Sarena was escorted by varsity basketball player Ryan McCullough.

The retiring 2017 Basketball Homecoming Queen is Alexa Bell. Alexa is the daughter of Charles and Allison Bell. Alexa is currently enrolled at Malone University where she is double majoring in Early Childhood Education and K-12 Intervention. Alexa is also a member of Malone’s JV Womans basketball team. Escorting Alexa was varsity basketball player Nicholas Mundy.

The 2018 Basketball Homecoming Queen is Madison Hall. Madison is the daughter of Mark and Michelle Hall. Madison is a member of Art Club, Key Club, Science Club, and Just Say No. Madie likes to help out backstage with props at Crown Theatre in Columbiana. Escorting Madison was varsity basketball player Grant Fredrick. Congratulations to our queen, Madison Hall, and her court!