The Students' Voice

Holiday Celebrations in December

What makes December so special? There is so much that happens in December. December is full of holidays and cheer around the world in all different kinds of cultures. There are various celebrations people do to show their culture and/or love for the month.

Saint Nicholas Day (Christian)

On Saint Nicholas Day kids leave their shoes out for Santa to put candy in them. The holiday is December 6th and was the day of Santa Claus’s Feast. Another way to celebrate this holiday is to make a bishop’s miter and to make no bake cookies for Saint Nicholas.

Fiesta of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Mexican)

Our lady of Guadalupe has been said to be a man named Juan Diego that had encountered the Virgin Mary twice in Mexico City on December 9th and again on December 12th. Mary told Juan to ask the bishop to build a church on a hill. On this day people throw parties and enjoy a day full of fun.

St. Lucia Day (Swedish)

This holiday is also called the Feast of Saint Lucy. This is a Christian feast day celebrated on December 13th in a place called Advent. Saint Lucy was a 3rd-century martyr who in the legend brought food and aid to Christians hiding in the catacombs using a candle-lit wreath to light her way and leave her hands free to carry as much food as possible. Saint Lucy’s Day is viewed as an event signaling the arrival of Christmastide.

Hanukkah (Jewish)

This is a Jewish holiday celebrated in an eight day span to mark the eight days the oil burned. People celebrate Hanukkah by lighting candles on a menorah and giving out a present every day of the 8 days from December 12th to December 20th.

Christmas Day (Christian)

People celebrate Christmas on December 25th. The reasoning for the day is this is when Jesus Christ was born. On this day people get along and sing songs, eat food, and handout presents to one another.

Three Kings Day/Epiphany (Christian)

People celebrate this day by having a very delicious feast. They usually end the feast with eating the King’s Bread. Sometimes kids even make crowns to wear at the dinner table to wear in honor of the kings. This holiday is celebrated on January 6th.

Boxing Day (Australian, Canadian, English, Irish)

People keep this day casual. They use this day to see family members they do not usually get to see on Christmas or Christmas Eve, depending on how big the family is. People like to go on an outing on this day. This event occurs on December 26th.

Kwanzaa (African American)

People celebrate this holiday by decorating their homes. They decorate flags and they usually have a feast. Kwanzaa is a week-long celebration related to Black History starting on December 26th and ending on January 1st.

Omisoka (Japanese)

People tend to stay home on this holiday to watch the New Year’s talent competition until it is time to count down at midnight. This is not just for parties though, this holiday is also for Japanese people at midnight to go visit Shinto Shrines. It is a very spiritual holiday for the Japanese. The date of this holiday is December 31st

Yule (Pagan)

For this holiday you will need to burn a Yule Log in a hearth, or by burning candles or a bonfire near a log of Oak on an altar. Pagans use this as a day to meditate on the rising and/or setting of the Solstice Sun.

Saturnalia (Pagan)

This holiday is on December 17th and is celebrated by Pagans. On this holiday you wear colors, such as blue and gold to celebrate. Decorations are put on doorways, doors, around the house, and even on staircases. People put sin symbols in trees and make cookies with fertility symbols on them. People give out presents and drink Mulsum on this day, which is a mixture of wine and honey.