The student news site of Lisbon David Anderson High School

The Students' Voice

Jonathan Brown Joins Marines

Johnathan Brown is a senior this year at DAHS. He is 18 years old and joining the Marines after high school. He recently went to MEPS in Pittsburgh. MEPS is Military Entrance Processing Station. This is where recruits get their physical qualifications checked out. John went up to Pittsburgh the night before and stayed in a very nice hotel. He and the other recruits had to get up very early the next morning and met in a room at the hotel. John said one of the most exciting events was screaming “Yes Sir!” at the top of his lungs with the other recruits around him. They were so loud they probably woke up half of the hotel. After that, everyone had to get a long and extensive physical. The doctors and nurses took blood samples and checked everything. John said during this time he bonded with a lot of the other guys because they were together in such weird conditions and experiencing new things for a lot of the day.

Later he got to pick his top three job choices while he is enlisted. His first choice is Military Intelligence, which involves knowing where the enemy is and their capabilities. His second choice is Security Forces, which is a counter-terrorism unit dedicated to security of high value areas such as nuclear vessels and weapons. His last choice is MP which is the military police. The last thing he did that day was get sworn into the military. He gave an oath that went:

“I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

He said that swearing in made him feel good, he felt very patriotic during the whole process. John plans on going to boot camp in August, 2018. Boot camp for the marines is held in Paris Island, South Carolina and usually lasts for 13 weeks. He is very excited to start serving his country and wishes that he could start sooner. In the meantime he gets to work out every Wednesday with the other recruits, and on the second Saturday of every month they get together and have a meeting. DAHS and the Lisbon community wish Jonathan the best of luck in his future endeavors.