The student news site of Lisbon David Anderson High School

The Students' Voice

2017 Top Ten

The Class of 2017 has thirteen outstanding seniors in this year’s top 10, including four valedictorians, of the 68 students in the graduating class:

#1 Courtney Tolson is the daughter of David and Becky Tolson. Courtney has participated in varsity cheerleader, volleyball, Science Club, Spanish Club, Y-Teens, Student Senate, Mock Trial, and the high school plays. Her special awards include Buckeye Girls State delegate, National Honors Society secretary, Fellowship of Christian Athletes president. Her future plans are to attend the University of Toledo and major in recreational therapy, then get a masters in occupational therapy. Courtney’s favorite quote is, “Live beyond with if, find joy in what is.”

#1 Derek Joy is the son of Brian and Melissa Joy. Derek participated in Academic Challenge, Spanish Club, English Festival, football, track, National Honors Society, Science Club, as well as president of the class of 2017.  His special awards include Buckeye Boys State delegate, most inspirational in football, Columbiana County Academic Challenge champion 2017. His future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to major in chemical engineering. Derek’s favorite quote is, “I am the hope in the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to yun!”

#1 Aaron Kemats is the son of Todd and Laurie Kemats. Aaron participated in Spanish Club as president, Science Club as president, Academic Challenge, Mock Trial, pep band, marching band, golf, and BBS attendee. His special awards include NMS Commended Student award, NHS Inductee, and best musician award. His future plans are to go to Ohio Northern University to pursue a double major in mathematics and education. His goals is to be a math professor. Aaron’s favorite quote is, “You’ve gotta stand for something or else you’ll fall for anything.”- Mark Highchurch.

#1 Lindsey Chludzinski is the daughter of William Chludzinski and Christine Chludzinski. Her activities consist of cross country, track, Mock Trial, Academic Challenge, concert band, Key Club, Art Club, Spanish Club, Science Club, Health Careers Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, National Honor Society, 4-H, Lisbon Baptist Temple, and working at Subway. Her special awards include HOBY Representative, Buckeye Girls State delegate, Bronte Presidential volunteer service award, National Merit Scholarship commended list, outstanding attorney (2015, 2016, 2017).  Her future plans are to major in biology, pre-physical therapy, and minor in Spanish at Youngstown State University. She hopes to continue her education to become a physical therapist.  Lindsey’s favorite quote is, “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God which is your responsible service.”

#2 Julie Muntean is the daughter of Lary and Robin Muntean. Julie participated in National Honor Society as vice president, Spanish Club as treasurer, FCA as secretary, Art Club, varsity cheerleading, flag line as captain, Science Club as treasurer, and mock trial. Her special awards include being inducted into the National Honors Society and Buckeye Girls State delegate. Her future plans are to attend Bowling Green State University and double major in communication and physics. Julie’s favorite quote is, “Dance as if no one is watching, sing as if no one were listening, and live every day as if it’s your last.”

#3 Alexa Bell is the daughter of Charles and Alison Bell. Alexa participated in Spanish Club, Science Club, National Honor Society, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Pep Club, basketball and track. Her special awards include Buckeye Girls State, Coach Pezzano award, JV player of the year award, most improved player of the year award, coaches’ award. Her future plans are to attend Malone University to major in early childhood education and k-12 intervention.  Alexa’s favorite quote is, “Let all that you do be done in love.”

#4 Catelynn Frantz is the daughter of Jim and April Harter. Catelynn ‘s activities include Key Club vice president, Art Club president, Just Say No Club president, Spanish Club, Health Club president, Science Club, English festival, Pep Club, McKinley Tutors, and student council. Her special awards include NHS and HOBY representative. Her future plans are to attend Eastern Nazarene College to major in biology, minor in youth ministry, and after graduating college would like to work in a NICU as a nurse and be involved with church helping with the youth. Catelynn’s favorite quote is, “She is clothed with strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.” – Proverbs 31:25

#5 Jacob Liberati is the son of Lou and Tena Liberati. Jacob participated in football, track, Spanish Club, Academic Challenge, and Mock Trial. His special awards include NHS inductee, state qualifier for mock trial, First Team ITCL football, First Team Columbiana County football, First Team Quad County football, Honorable Mention all-district in football, First Team ITCL in track. Jacob’s favorite quote is, “#9 Peaks and Valleys.” – Coach T

#6 David Toot is the son of Dave and Heather Toot. David’s activities include NHS, Buckeye Boys State delegate, Mock Trial, Spanish Club, Science Club, Physics Olympian, junior attendant of prom court, and McKinley Tutor, and Youngstown Class B baseball. His is a four year letter winner in football and baseball, holds several awards in football including First Team Quad County and Second Team ITCL. David has numerous awards in baseball including First Team ITCL in 2016, ITCL Honorable Mention in 2015, and defensive player. His future plans are to play baseball in college and major in nursing. David’s favorite quote is, “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.”

#7 Karlee Pezzano is the daughter of Mark and Connie Pezzano. Karlee participated in basketball, volleyball, softball, Art Club, Pep Club, and student council. Her awards include NHS, Buckeye Girls State delegate, volleyball – First Team Columbiana County, First Team ITCL and Second Team all-district, softball – 2nd team ITCL, and basketball – First Team Columbiana County, First Team ITCL, Second Team NE District and Honorable Mention State. Her future plans are to attend college and major in business/accounting. and to someday be an accountant. Karlee’s favorite quote is, “Are the habits that you have today on par with the dreams that you have tomorrow?”

#8 Samantha Smith is the daughter of Thomas and Debra Smith. Her activities include dance student/teacher, Girl Scouts, cheerleading, concert band, pep band, and marching band. Samantha’s special awards include varsity letter in track, academic letter, and National Technical Honors Society. Her future plans are to attend Kent State University and major in education. She wants to minor in computer science and become a computer teacher. Samantha’s favorite quote is, “Life is like a camera. You focus on what’s important, capture the good times, develop from the negative and if things don’t work out, take another shot.”

#9 Aliyah Leyman is the daughter of Tiffany Toot and the late John Leyman. Aliyah participated in Pep Club, student council, Spanish Club, Key Club, Mock Trial, Academic Challenge, Art Club, theater and also sang the national anthem at home sporting events. Her awards include best witness for Mock Trial, first place in the DAHS talent show, and AMVETS essay contest winner. Aliyah’s future plans are to attend Cleveland State University and double major in psychology and criminology and become a professional criminal Psychologist. Aliyah’s favorite quote is, “Live your life for you.”

#10 Seth Davis is the son of Joe Davis and Brandy Davis. Seth’s activities include football, track, Spanish Club and Science Club. His awards include Buckeye Boys State, second place overall in Physics Olympics, track MVP, Second Team ITCL football. His future plans are to attend YSU and major in biology. Seth’s favorite quote is, “Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.” – Robert Heinlein