The Students' Voice

College Football Playoff

Back to Article
Back to Article

College Football Playoff

The College Football Playoff, or CFP, was instituted into the league in 2014. Four teams play in two semifinal games, and the winners advance to the College Football Playoff National Championship. They turned to this format to play one less game, which saves time and keep the players fresh to play their best football on the biggest stage, The National Championship.

College football was naturally a little crazy this year. There were many upsets that were set into the CFP and the committee had a hard time selecting the final four. This year’s final four is No. 1 Alabama University, No. 2 Clemson University, No. 3 The Ohio State University and No. 4 Washington University.

Alabama pulled off an undefeated season and won the SEC championship game. They were ranked the number one team in the country for the entire season with the best offense and defense in the nation.

Clemson won the ACC championship, which gave them the number two ranking, even though they lost to unranked Pitt and North Carolina. Clemson also has a Heisman front runner at quarterback in Deshaun Watson, a very fast and athletic defense and an explosive offense.

Ohio State in at number three because they did not make it to the Big 10 Championship game even though they went 9-1 and beat arch rival Michigan. They will have it tough in the playoffs, but skill players J.T Barret and Curtis Samuel should help them get the job done.

And last, but not least, is Washington at number four. They kept their name in contention all year long. Most people were not making much of them because they were going to have to play Alabama in the first round of the playoff.

This year’s CFP is going to be interesting. Check in December 31st for the first two bowl games. The first is the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl between (4) Washington and (1) Alabama. The second is the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl between (3) Ohio State and (2) Clemson. The two winners of these games then play for the National Championship. So watch the games and cheer your favorite teams on to victory.

I hope to see Ohio State win the National Championship and prove all the haters/doubters wrong. The last time they made it in was the first time the CFP came into existence. They beat Alabama when they were the No. 1 team in the country and it’s setting up so that history repeats itself. Guess we will find out in 2017!