2016 Top Ten Seniors

Thirteen graduating seniors make up the “Top Ten” list this year, where 79 seniors in the class of 2016 are walking for graduation. These students have all been very active throughout high school and are looking forward to their future.

#1 Leah Emmmerling is the daughter of Paige Beers and Nathan Beers. She will attend Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania and study exercise science to be a pre-physician’s assistant. She is a member of the Key Club, cheerleading, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, National Honor Society, Spanish Club, Science Club, Student Council, class president, Drama Club, College Credit Plus, and Health Careers Club. Her favorite quote is “Nothing great ever comes easy.”

#1 Hannah Hiscox is the daughter of Beth and T.K. Hiscox. She will attend Youngstown State University to study exercise science/pre-physical therapy. Hannah is a member of the volleyball team, softball team, cheerleading squad, Student Council, Spanish Club, Art Club, Science Club, National Honor Society, and Health Careers Club. She was awarded HOBY Representative her sophomore year, Buckeye Girls State delegate junior year, Am Vets essay winner 2nd place sophomore and junior year, and volleyball school record: most points served in a game. Hannah was a four year varsity letter winner for both volleyball and softball, and a three year varsity letter winner for cheerleading. Her favorite quote is by Walt Disney, “All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.”

#1 Trevor Reese is the son of Pamela and Matt Bricker and Brian Reese. He will attend Ashland University to major in finance and mathematics. He is a member of the National Honor Society, Mock Trial, Academic Challenge, Science Club, Spanish Club, McKinley Mentor, Key Club, Kent State College Credit Plus, track and field, the basketball team, and the cross country team. Trevor was a three year varsity letter winner in both basketball and track, earning three “Highest Point in Field” for track, a one year varsity letter for cross country, Student of the Month, and Kent State University Dean’s List. His favorite quote is from Mr. Duko, “work smart, not hard.”

#1 Sara Haren is the daughter of Gary and Kella Haren. She will attend the Ohio State University in the fall, majoring in biology and pre-optometry. Sara is a member of Student Council, Health Careers Club as President, National Honor Society, Science Club, Spanish Club, Y-Teens, Key Club and varsity cheerleading. She participated at NEOMED Med camp, Kent State Senior to Sophomore Program and was a Buckeye Girls State delegate. She was the basketball homecoming queen. Her favorite quote is “step outside your comfort zone, for that’s where life truly begins.”

#2 Taylor Siefke is the daughter of Joe and Tammy Siefke. She will attend Youngstown State University to major in nursing. She is a member of the Spanish Club, Science Club, Art club, Student Council, Y-Teens, Pep Club, Health Careers Club, the volleyball team, the basketball team, the softball team, Junior Olympics volleyball team, and the winter traveling softball team. Her awards include being a Buckeye Girls State delegate, class treasurer, HOBY representative, salutatorian and National Honor Society member. As a four year letter winner for volleyball, she also was offensive player of the year, 1st Team ITCL, 1st team Columbiana County, 1st team District, and holds the record for most blocks and aces in a career. Taylor was also a four year letter winner for basketball and earned honorable mention Columbiana County. She was a four year letter winner for softball and was the Defensive County M.V.P. Her favorite quote is by Peter F. Drucker, “The best way to predict the future is to create it.”

#3 Hannah Prasco is the daughter of Rick Prasco and Penni White. She will attend Kent State University to major in nursing and become a registered nurse. She is a member of the basketball team, Science Club, Art Club, Pep Club, Spanish Club, Key Club, Health Careers Club, Physics Olympics, and student council. Hannah’s awards include being on the honor roll, honors student, and Student Spotlight award. In basketball, she was awarded 2nd team ITCL, honorable mention all-county, county all-star game, and ITCL all-star game. She was also the captain of the basketball team. Her favorite quote is “You may not always end up where you thought you were going, but you will always end up where you are meant to be.”

#4 Josh Liberati is the son of Lou and Tena Liberati. He will attend Baldwin Wallace for economics and corporate law. He participanted at the NEOMED med camp in 2013 and 2014, the Family Recovery Leadership Program and Mock Crash. Josh is a member of Mock Trial, varsity football team, varsity basketball team, and the varsity track team. HIs football awards include WKBN Big 22, 1st team All State Division 6 Defense, 1st team All Area, 1st team Quad County, NE Inland District 1st team, 1st team All Area, 1st team Defense Columbiana County, HM Ohio Inland District, HM ITCL, and being able to participate in the Penn-Ohio game. He was awarded with being the best attorney for the Mock Trial team. For basketball he holds the school assist record, being the captain for 4 years, school steal record, Top 100 underclassman in 2013 and 2014, 1st team ITCL for 3 years, 2nd team Inland district for two years, 1st team All County 2015/2016, 2nd team All County 2014/2015, and Honorable Mention All County 2013/2014. He was also a Dancing with the Alumni Participant. His favorite quote is by JFK, “Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.”

#5 Cody Freeland is the son Todd and Chris Freeland. He will attend Kent State University to pursue a bachelor’s degree in aeronautics with a concentration in aviation management, and wants to someday have a job as an air traffic controller. He was a member of the football team, track team, Academic Challenge, and Mock Trial. Cody was awarded with most points in track for sophomore year and Kent State outstanding student in communications in spring of 2015. His favorite quote is by Otto Von Bismarck, “Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”

#6 Madison Crawford is the daughter of David and Teresa Crawford. She is a member of the National Honor Society, Science Club, Spanish Club, Health Careers Club, varsity cheerleading, and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. She was awarded an academic letter for four years, People to People Student Ambassador, varsity letter for three years, Buckeye Girls State delegate, and a McKinley tutor. Her favorite quote is by Theodore Roosevelt, “Believe you can do it and you’re halfway there.”

#7 Emily Steves is the daughter of Juli Johnson and Kyle Steves. She will attend Kent State University, majoring in psychology and minoring in pre-med/pre-osteopathy to become a psychiatrist and travel the world. She is a member of the Spanish Club, Science Club, National Honor Society, Key Club, Mock Trial, track team, softball team, cheerleading squad, volleyball team, basketball team, Pep Club, Physics Olympics, and McKinley tutoring. She was awarded with the Blue Devil award and the Ms. Hustle award. Her favorite quote is “Travel and experience more, fear and regret less”.

#8 Brianna Pickens is the daughter of Shawn and Connie Pickens. She will attend Westminster College to study biology in the pre-medicine program to be an osteopathic family physician. She is a member of the Art Club, Health Careers Club, National Honor Society, Science Club, Spanish Club, Key Club, and the Academic Challenge team. She was Buckeye Girls State delegate, nominated to attend the National Academy of Future Physicians and Medical Scientist’s award of excellence. Her favorite quote is by Mulan, “The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.”

#9 Kyle French is the son of Brian and Cathy French. He plans to be a nuclear engineer in the navy. He is a member of the Art Club, Science Club, Spanish Club, baseball team, cross country team, National Honor Society, 2016 High School Musical, football team, and the Physics Olympics. He was awarded with a varsity letter in baseball, football, and cross country and 1st place in the Physics Olympics. His favorite quote is by Mewtwo, “I see now that the circumstances of one’s birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”

#10 Austin Rutecki is the son of David and Melissa Rutecki. He plans to play basketball in college, majoring in criminal justice and have a career in law enforcement. He is a member of the varsity football team, varsity basketball team, baseball team, and the track team. Austin is also a member of the National Honor Society, Physics Olympics,  Buckeye Boys State delegate, football and basketball team captain, 1st team Columbiana County football, 1st team Quad County football, 1st team Morning Journal football, Top 100 showcase basketball, player of the year Columbiana county basketball, district player of the year basketball, 1st team ITCL basketball, 1st team Columbiana county basketball, 1st team NE Inland District and played in the North-South game in Columbus. Austin is a member of the 1000 Point Club, and Div. IV All State for basketball. His favorite quote is by Michael Jordan, “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or walk around it.”