The Seventh District Court of Appeals Comes to DAHS

On Wednesday, April 8th judges from the Seventh District Court of Appeals came to DAHS to present two appellate court cases to the junior and senior students. The judges included Judge Gene Donofrio, Judge Cheryl L. Waite, Judge Mary DeGenaro, and Judge Carol Ann Robb.
The presentation was part of a travelling group of judges that hear and decide real appellate cases in front of students at area schools. In the first case, State of Ohio v. Christopher Anderson, the defense attorney started out by briefly explaining Anderson’s case to the judges who asked questions and challenged the attorney. After that, the prosecuting attorney defended his side of the matter to the judges, followed by a rebuttal from the defense attorney and closing statements. In the next case, State of Ohio v. Christian Oliver, the same proceedings were taken with a different defense attorney and the same prosecuting attorney at the stand. Both cases were going to be decided upon by the judges after the presentation.
Once the cases were heard, students had a chance to ask the attorneys and judges questions about the cases or the field of law. All of them were very helpful and excited to answer the students’ questions. The whole presentation was an exciting look into the world of appellate courts.