Power of the Pen

Power of the Pen

This year the district competition was at the University of Mount Union on January 8th. The 7th grade participants were Maddie Liberati, Kawa Waters, Alivia Leyman, and Bryanna Vangiesen. The 8th grade participants were Katie Chludzinski, Kyle Claypool, Kyleen Culler, Thomas Bleakney, Lindsi Welsh, and Jordan Holshue. The runners were Marissa Spooner and Reagan Emmerling.

The Power of the Pen is a writing competition where students from area schools travel to a college campus to participate in 3 impromptu writing rounds. The prompts this year were “Discover That Your Best Friend Isn’t One”, “The Password” and “The Setting for Your Story is the Day After What?” Participants have 40 minutes to write a narrative that goes with the prompt. Each of the prompts are judged after each round and the scores are based upon the ranking in each round and quality points assigned.

After the writing sessions are over there is a buffet lunch that is provided and the college book store is open for the students also. At the end they receive their team and individual awards. This is when you find out who is moving on to the next round. At the district competition, 3 students advanced to regional level for placing in the top 50%. No team or individual awards were given. This year the regional competition was at Malone University on February 28th. Participants were Maddie Liberati (7th grade), Katie Chludzinski (8th grade), and Lindsi Welsh (8th Grade). At regional competition Katie Chludzinski placed 11th of 80 and Lindsi Welsh placed 29th of 80. Katie Chludzinski and Lindsi Welsh will be moving on to the state competition at the College of Wooster. Participants said that the day was crazy, hectic, and fun and the food was amazing! Everyone was very excited to share what they wrote about on the bus ride home.

Congratulations to Lindsi Welsh and Katie Chludzinski for their success at the district and regional competitions and good luck in the state competition!